Lavender Pillow to help beat insomnia
I can hear you all asking: what is a lavender pillow? Very simply, a lavender pillow is a small sachet of lavender, which you can place under your pillow, or in your bed which should help encourage sleep. There are different ways to make a homemade lavender pillows or you can actually just be lazy and buy a lavender pillow. My sister introduced me to these when I was struggling to fall asleep a few years ago and I totally swear by them. For you cynics out there.... so why does lavender help you sleep? According to some scientists and the studies they did, Lavender aromatherapy can really help calm the body, that it slows down the nervous system and hence all improves relaxation and so helps people to fall relax enough to help fall asleep. I even read somewhere that in Germany, Lavender flowers have also been approved as a drinking tea to help people with insomnia! Who knew! One of these lavender pillows lasts a long time, the scent might be reduced over time but you won't need to replace it for at last a few months.
What You'll Need
- Piece of cloth or handkerchief
- Dried lavender
- Rubber band or something like a hair band to tie it together (Important point as you want to make sure the lavender doesn't fall out and create a mess!)
- Fresh or dried lavender ((dried lavender works much better then fresh but its a matter of taste to which you prefer)
What You'll Do
- Step 1 - Buy about two handfulls of lavander or, if possible, pick some yourself Step 2- Cut away as much of the stalk as possible. Step 3 - Put all the buds in the center of the cloth/handkerchief
- Step 4 - join all the corners of the handkerchief and tie with a rubber band. Step 5 - place the lavender pillow under or near your bedtime pillow
- How do you make a lavender pillow
- Step 1 - Buy about two handfulls of lavander or, if possible, pick some yourself
- Step 2- Cut away as much of the stalk as possible.
- Step 3 - Put all the buds in the center of the cloth/handkerchief
- Step 4 - join all the corners of the handkerchief and tie with a rubber band.
- Step 5 - place the lavender pillow under or near your bedtime pillow - and sleep well!
Tips & Warnings
- Apparently if you have a breathing issue such as Asthma you should always talk to your Doctor before using lavender or lavender oils. Make sure you are not allergic to lavender!
Report this health tip as inappropriate