Hot towels in cups over the ears to help ease ear ache
Maybe it came from swimming or maybe you have some extra pressure in your ears from traveling, one thing's for sure, ear aches can be really painful and uncomfortable! For a bad ear ache, or excessive pressure in the ear from being blocked, place dampened hand towels into two heat-proof cups or mugs, and place mugs over ears. Often, ear aches are made worse by flying, scuba diving or having your ears blocked from other areas of pressure – that's when heat and steam come in. Heat, or even warm compresses, are great to relieve pain, pressure and unclog the ears. An air stewardess once shared this tip with me on a flight and I tried it once I got home from the trip, and it worked really well. I didn't feel the headache and throbbing that comes from having blocked ears and ear pains because I did it so fast – it feels like it didn't really have time to set in! Trust me, this really does help.
What You'll Need
- Hot towels
- Two cups
What You'll Do
- Fully dampen one or two washcloths (as needed for ear ache in one or both ears). Place wash cloths on a placte and put them in the microwave for approximately 1 minute. (Alternatively, run washcloths under very hot water).
- Drain excess water. Place washcloths in the bottom of cups. Place cups over the affected ear or ears.
- Cover your ears with the cups so the heat from the towels can seep into your blocked ears
- Be careful not to have the very hot towel touch your ears in case of burning.
Tips & Warnings
- Careful handling the hot towels. Make sure the towels don't fall onto your ear as you place the cups over your ears.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.