Hot towels in cups over the ears to help ease ear ache
For a bad ear ache, or excessive pressure in the ear from being blocked, place dampened hand towels into two heat-proof cups or mugs, and place mugs over ears. Often, ear aches are made worse by flying, scuba diving or having your ears blocked from other areas of pressure – that's when heat and steam come in. Heat, or even warm compresses, are great to relieve pain, pressure and unclog the ears. Trust me, this really does help.
What You'll Need
- Hot towels
- Two cups
What You'll Do
- Fully dampen one or two washcloths (as needed for ear ache in one or both ears). Place wash cloths on a placte and put them in the microwave for approximately 1 minute. (Alternatively, run washcloths under very hot water).
- Drain excess water. Place washcloths in the bottom of cups. Place cups over the affected ear or ears.
- Cover your ears with the cups so the heat from the towels can seep into your blocked ears
- Be careful not to have the very hot towel touch your ears in case of burning.
Tips & Warnings
- Careful handling the hot towels. Make sure the towels don't fall onto your ear as you place the cups over your ears.
Report this health tip as inappropriate