Preventing Coldsores using Sunblock
You can help prevent Cold Sores from forming to begin with by applying sunblock on your lips and face year-round. This really can work. Friends told me about this, and I being slightly skeptical did some research. I found a study which said that researchers tried it out on 38 people who suffered from recurrent cold sores and it stopped the problem. Then they supplied a fake sunscreen, and 71% of the people developed a cold sore. (This research was published in something called the Lancet in 1991.) So although not exactly a big scientific study it was enough to encourage me to try using suncream and it seems so far to be working.
What You'll Need
- Sunblock - use a high factor (such as those intended for skiers or other outdoor exercise.)
What You'll Do
- Apply sunblock to areas prone to cold sores daily. Sunlight seems to activate herpes simplex 1 in some people.
- Apply the suncream to the area where your cold sores occur.
- Do not just dab on the exact spot where you last got a cold sore. Cover the surrounding skin also, because cold sores do not always recur in exactly the same spot.
- If you tend to get cold sores on the actual lip, use a lip balm that contains UV protection.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.