Preventing Coldsores using Sunblock
You can help prevent Cold Sores from forming to begin with by applying sunblock on your lips and face year-round. This really can work. Friends told me about this, and I being slightly skeptical did some research. I found a study which said that researchers tried it out on 38 people who suffered from recurrent cold sores and it stopped the problem. Then they supplied a fake sunscreen, and 71% of the people developed a cold sore. (This research was published in something called the Lancet in 1991.) So although not exactly a big scientific study it was enough to encourage me to try using suncream and it seems so far to be working.
What You'll Need
- Sunblock - use a high factor (such as those intended for skiers or other outdoor exercise.)
What You'll Do
- Apply sunblock to areas prone to cold sores daily. Sunlight seems to activate herpes simplex 1 in some people.
- Apply the suncream to the area where your cold sores occur.
- Do not just dab on the exact spot where you last got a cold sore. Cover the surrounding skin also, because cold sores do not always recur in exactly the same spot.
- If you tend to get cold sores on the actual lip, use a lip balm that contains UV protection.
Report this health tip as inappropriate