Water & Abdominal Massage
Constipation is a symptom that occurs when bowel movements are less frequent due to a harder stool. Not drinking enough water is one of the main causes of constipation. When you are properly hydrated your digestive system will work efficiently and the stools will be soft and easy to pass. As the food you eat makes its way into the large intestine/colon, the colon will absorb the water from your food if you are not fully hydrated, thus making the stools hard and difficult to pass. The idea of the abdominal massage is to follow the path of the faecal matter as it travels along your large intestines / colon. Simply this is a clockwise direction, starting from the lower right side of your abdomen, moving directly up to just under your ribs, across to the left and directly down the left side. The massage will help stimulate the intestine and can initiating the action of peristalsis (the contraction and relaxation of the intestinal muscle) which in turn helps to move the stools along.
What You'll Need
- Massage oil (not compulsory)
What You'll Do
- 1. Drink a few glasses of pure water and continue to sip throughout the day.
- 2. Find a comfortable seated or lying position to relax in.
- 3. Apply a massage lotion or even oil olive to your abdomen (or you can massage without a lotion).
- 4. Place your fingers at the lowest right side of your abdomen, close to your hips bone and begin to apply pressure in small circular movements with your fingers.
- 5. Continue the circular movements directly upwards towards your rib cage.
- 6. Next continue with the small circles and work directly across to the left side of your abdomen, just below your left rib.
- 7. Continue the movement directly downwards until you've reached your hip/groin area.
- 8. Repeat this process slowly and smoothly for approximately 10 minutes.
- 9. To finish the massage, place your hands on your abdomen and take some slow and deep breaths.
- 10. During the massage imagine the stools passing freely, visualise how you want your body to be functioning and not the discomfort it is currently in.
- 11. Drink more water
Tips & Warnings
- When you’re first starting abdominal massage, proceed slowly and gently. If you find any tender areas, lighten your pressure. Ensure you hands are warm when you start the massage, cold hands will only cause you to tense up, the idea is to be relaxed. Look at a diagram showing you the position of the large intestine in the body, this will ensure you have a good understand of where to perform the massage on yourself. Give yourself an abdominal massage twice a day for at least 10 minutes and drinking plenty of water until you are no longer constipated. To prevent constipation in the future ensure you always drink plenty of pure water and give yourself an abdomen massage every once in a while.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.