4 Meditation Apps for Beginners
The benefits of mindfulness and meditation are becoming more and more promoted. And yet, if you are new to the world of meditation it can be difficult to know where to start. There are many different ways to meditate, and it’s important to find a style that works for you. These 4 apps offer guided meditations which you can use as a starting point to build your own personal practice.
What You'll Need
- A smartphone
- An open mind
- Remember that when starting a meditation practice, it can be tricky at first. Our minds are so busy, it can be difficult to get into it. But this is exactly why it’s called a ‘practice’ - it takes time and the best way to improve is with a consistent approach. Even 5 minutes a day can have a real impact :)
What You'll Do
- Headspace - this is probably the most well-known meditation app in the UK. It focuses on mindfulness and breath meditation. While the app has a paid subscription, you receive 10 days free when you first sign up. This is a perfect amount of time for you to get a feel for the app and the style of meditation to see if it suits you.
- Ananda - Deepak Chopra’s app is excellent for those who are interested in mantra meditation. You can choose from a number of different themes and you can adjust the length of the meditation to suit you. Each meditation starts with a brief talk (usually from Deepak himself), introduction of the mantra and its meaning, and then background music while you repeat the mantra. This app has a freemium model.
- Calm - similarly to Headspace, this app focuses mostly on mindfulness and breathing meditations. However, it is most well known for its unique Sleep Stories. These stories are specially designed to help you drift off into a deep and peaceful sleep - and you may recognise some of the storytellers’ voices! Calm operates on a freemium model.
- Insight Timer - as well as an extensive library of guided meditations, this app also gives you access to music and talks - all for free! There is also a timer function on the app, for if you’d like to meditate without guidance. This app is perfect for those who want to delve deeper into the world of meditation, listening to talks from renowned teachers, and sampling a wealth of meditation styles - from mantra to visualisation.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.