Understanding Your Cravings
UNDERSTAND YOUR CRAVINGS Cravings are something all of us struggle with at times, so you’re not alone if this is something you’re dealing with too. It's really important to understand the SOURCE of our cravings, to see if the cravings is actually a sign of a lack of nourishment in some way. Cravings can be triggered by many things including; sights, sounds, aromas, environment, stress and more. A perfect example of this is a typical trip to your local mall when you walk by the pretzel stand or cinnamon roll shop – sights, sounds, aromas, AND environment – oh my! The better we understand our cravings though, the more equipped we are to deal with them constructively. We are also able to see that it's not because we "lack self control" that we are craving something and give in. Check out 3 possible sources of cravings below:
What You'll Need
- Pen and the Circle of Life Exercise (see link below)
What You'll Do
- LACK OF PRIMARY FOOD. Being dissatisfied with a relationship or having an inappropriate exercise routine (too much, too little, or the wrong kind), being bored, stressed, uninspired by a job, or lacking a spiritual practice may all cause emotional eating. Eating can be used as a substitute for entertainment or to fill the void of primary food.
- WATER. Lack of water can send the message that you are thirsty and on the verge of dehydration Dehydration can manifest as a mild hunger, so the first thing to do when you get a craving is drink a full glass of water. Excess water can also cause cravings, so be sure that your water intake is well balanced.
- 3. LACK OF NUTRIENTS. If the body has inadequate nutrients, it will produce odd cravings. For example, inadequate mineral levels produce salt cravings, and overall inadequate nutrition produces cravings for non-nutritional forms of energy, like caffeine.
Tips & Warnings
- Of the three sources of cravings above, do you think any applies to you? If so, what's one thing you can do when feeling that craving to help actually NOURISH you in the way your body needs? For more support around whether or not your cravings are due to a lack of primary food, check out the circle of life exercise in the link below to help you see what areas of your life you may be out of balance in: http://www.madewell345.com/2016/03/06/the-circle-of-life/