Retinoids vs Retinols for dealing with Acne
Retin-based skincare products are worth understanding because they have both anti-ageing and anti-acne properties. They can reduce wrinkles, fight acne, improve skin blood flow, increase cell turnover, boost collagen production, and even skin tone. They are both related to vitamin A and encourage dead and dying skin cells to slough away from the surface more quickly than usual. New healthy, smooth, clear skin underneath is revealed more quickly.
What You'll Need
- If you want to see your skin rejuvenated and say goodbye to wrinkles, acne, or both (!) then it is time to start using a retin!
- Understand retinols. Retinol is a form of vitamin A that naturally occurs in the skin. It is used in over-the-counter skin care products. Retinol is converted by skin enzymes into retinoic acid that improves wrinkles and discolouration. This reaction takes several weeks and it can take 3-6 months for a noticeable difference in your skin to be seen.
- 3. Chose a retin right for you. Every person and their skin is unique. Some people may see adequate results with retinols. However, some people need more powerful, prescription-only retinoids to get effective results. It all depends on your unique skin type and issues. Clear pores, acne-free, youthful skin results usually take 6-8 weeks. In theory, the same results (albeit slower) should be seen with a retinol so for mild skin complaints, retinols may be all you need.
- 4. Recognise the side effects. You may see a temporary increase in acne breakouts but this should resolve within a few weeks and then you should start to see an improvement. Also, when using retin-based products, your skin is more sensitive to the sun. It is therefore important to use sunscreen with high SPF protection.
- 5. Take action! Retinols are available over the counter, but if you want more immediate results or need something stronger to improve your skin, then you will need a unique, personalised prescription for a retinoid so it’s time to see a dermatologist for a bespoke prescription.
What You'll Do
- 1. Understand retinoids. Retinoids are synthetic products related to vitamin A. They work by causing the skin to rapidly turn over cells, killing off old ones in order to boost the production of new skin cells. This means that acne is cleared more quickly and new breakouts are prevented because of the ability to constantly exfoliate the skin. They also stimulate collagen production to improve the appearance of wrinkles, making you look younger.