Home remedy to stop a nosebleed
Nosebleeds can be caused by a variety of things – medical reasons for nosebleeds include blood clotting disorders, hypertension or those on blood thinning tablets. However, there are certain home remedies and products you can try at home to help relieve pressure in your face and reduce pain. If your symptoms are persistent or if you have any concern, or frequently get nose bleeds, or are worried for your child, seek medical attention immediately.
What You'll Need
- Cold flannel or ice pack
What You'll Do
- Sit upright and lean slightly forward if you are not feeling faint
- Breathe through your mouth and pinch the lower end of your nose with your index finger and thumb
- Apply pressure for 10-15 minutes until bleeding stops
- Place a cold flannel or ice pack around the end of the nose as this helps the blood vessels to close down and stop bleeding
Tips & Warnings
- If you are swallowing large amounts of blood, have a young child with a nosebleed, or have a particularly heavy nose bleed, seek medical attention immediately. If your nosebleed has stopped thanks to this home remedy, make sure to avoid blowing or picking your nose, or drinking caffeine or alcohol, or doing strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.