Improve your workspace when living with FMS
Living with Fibromyalgia is hard and stressful enough – but having to go to work and maintain your performance can be extremely tricky for those suffering from this chronic condition. FM can leave you feeling like your entire body is in pain, you're completely sleep deprived, and your stress levels are at a peak – all at the same time. However there are ways you can manage your symptoms while at work through making a few small changes in the office or around your workspace.
What You'll Need
- Speak to your boss or health occupational advisors.
What You'll Do
- Inform your boss and colleagues that you have this condition: the more they are aware, the more you can manage your symptoms with confidence and feel assured that you won't need to hide your condition away.
- Have the discussion: can you work more from home if your symptoms get worse when sitting at a desk all day? Talk about your specific condition so that you can find out what is likely to work for you and your organsiation.
- Get ergonomic chairs and other products: these can help reduce stiffness in the pain and help you feel more in control of pain-management when dealing with FM.
- Get a telephone headset and a raised keyboard tray: these can help you feel and move more freely and can relieve pressure off certain pain points. Occupational health departments can often support with these modifications.
Tips & Warnings
- Ask your doctor or health professional for tips and advice on ways to improve your lifestyle with FM.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.