Stop those thoughts from keeping you awake!
Your mind is probably racing with lots of thoughts stopping you from falling asleep or waking you up in the middle of the night. So:
What You'll Need
- A note pad and a pen
What You'll Do
- Half an hour before bed, write all your thoughts out in a note pad (paper is a great thing that absorbs our frustrations and worries)….the writing process helps the brain to process things. Don't do this writing in your bedroom!
- Then when in bed, do a light form of meditation:
- - take three deep breaths (in through the nose, out through the mouth)
- - then breath as you normally would but start counting your breaths: each breath in and out counts as '1', in and out '2' and so on until you get to 10. Stop there and then start from one again.
- Keep doing this counting of your breaths from 1 - 10….. (silently in your head)
- You might have thoughts pop up - kick them out by refocusing on the numbers. Don't worry if you lose track of which number you were at, or how many sets you've done….. Just start from one each time and focus on the breathing and counting.
- Counting up to 10 is calming for the brain. Anything above 10 starts stimulating the brain again (thats why counting sheep doesn't quite work)!
Tips & Warnings
- This is a light form of meditation and by doing this every night before bedtime you will train the brain to fall asleep…….
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.