Food based intervention for acne
When it comes to acne, it's about combining a few nutritional tips to help clear your gut in order to clear your skin – think inside to outside! Here's what you need to know:
What You'll Need
- Batch cook so you always have heatlhful snacks to hand to minimise consuiming lots of food that is nutirent poor or containing lots refined sugar, which is detrimental to skin health.
- Use a tea tree product as antibacterial in skincare.
What You'll Do
- Support beneficial bacteria in the bowel.
- Balance blood sugar – don't skip meals and make sure you have quality sources of protein in each meal and snack.
- Limit intake of high fat foods and trans fatty acids such as margarines, milk products, fried foods as they disrupt sebaceous secretions.
- Reduce dairy due to possible hormone content.
- Support liver function – lots of fresh ginger, turmeric, brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, kale).
- Increase Vitamin A in diet via beta-carotene eg; green leafy veg, (the greater the intensity of green the more beta-carotene), brightly coloured fruits and vegetables – orange coloured fruit & veg eg: mango, sweet potato, carrot, apricot, peppers. Also legumes, wholegrains, seeds, egg yolks.
- Vitamin E – nuts, seeds, eggs, wheatgerm, green leafy veg.
- Gently wash your face twice a day, don’t scrub.
Tips & Warnings
- It's also important to reduce exposure to pollutants eg; machine oils, coal tar derivatives, cosmetics. should your acne become painful or persist, see a consultant dermatologist as soon as possible.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.