13 Tips To Treat The Cold & Flu Naturally
Sometimes when we get sick it is our bodies way of telling us to slow down and look after ourselves. A healthy diet and lifestyle are the best preventatives to any ailments and disease. Giving ourself the right treatment within 48 hours of symptoms developing is the key to prevent complications and reduce the duration of the flu. Colds and flu are caused by viral and bacterial infections however the flu is much worse than a cold. A cold will typically last up to 3 days with less symptoms, where as a flu will typically last up to 5-7 days with worse symptoms. Untreated, flu can progress to pneumonia, bronchitis, ear and sinus infections. Antibiotics can build to antibiotic resistance as well as poor gut health. Treating ourselves naturally can help strengthen our immune systems and build antibodies to prevent other diseases, ailments and viruses. The flu can spread when an infected person sneezes or coughs near you, by touching a common object like a telephone etc. Plenty of rest, consumption of fluids and natural medicines are vital and can majorly help you to treat the flu. Treating the root cause is key here so look into nature for those that are natural antibacterials and antivirals such as garlic, thyme, turmeric, ginger, olive leaf extract, tea tree oil. Once we are treating the root cause we can begin to treat the symptoms: Sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, high fever, aching muscles and joints, headaches, dry cough, chills, sweats, fatigue and nasal congestion are common flu symptoms. Follow these steps strictly for efficient healing, all the supplements mentioned below can be found on Amazon and delivered straight to your door:
What You'll Need
- Hot water bottle
- Tiger balm
- Eucalyptus oil
- Raw ginger
- Raw garlic
- Dried thyme
- Plenty of water
- Warm clothes
- A Neti pot with salt water solution
- Colloidal silver
- Tea tree oil
- Chicken/vegetable broth.
What You'll Do
- Ginger & thyme tea. Thyme is a natural antiviral and antibacterial specifically good for your chest and throat. Ginger has analgesic and anti – inflammatory properties that help to heal the pain, irritation and the discomfort caused by flu. Ginger also has natural anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that help to fight against this flu virus to get rid of it from the body and thereby gives you complete relief from the influenza. Drinking this throughout the day as much as you can (8-10 mugs a day) will dramatically help and is one of the first and most important things to do when you feel the symptoms of a flu coming on. Make a big batch. Take 1 whole piece of ginger & peel it, place it in a blender with a litre of bottled water and blend it. Pour it into a pot, add 2 tablespoons of dried thyme and bring to a boil, then allow simmering on low heat for 20 minutes at least until the water is brown. Strain through a sieve and enjoy. Make this every day until you are healed again.
- Vegetable/chicken soup for the soul. All of our bodies’ physiological processes require the right nutrients to function properly so staying nourished is key for healing. To make a delicious simple chicken broth use 1 x free range organic chicken with the bone and add enough natural mineral/spring water to cover, sea salt, black pepper, 2 x onions peeled and cut in half and as many fresh garlic cloves you can handle. Bring to the boil remove any scum, turn heat to low and add 1 tsp of raw apple cider vinegar, 1 x cup of brown rice, cinnamon, thyme, oregano, celery, carrots, ginger and your choice of other vegetables (broccoli, kale, spinach, mushrooms) allow to cook for at least 1 and a ½ hours sprinkle with turmeric, serve and enjoy. If you are vegetarian or vegan copy the instructions above but leave out the chicken and replace with beans or lentils instead. You can make a big batch of this and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- A Neti pot with saline solution. Fill the neti pot with 1 cup of warm water with ½ tsp of sea salt and 20 drops of colloidal silver with 1 teeny tiny drop of tea tree oil and flush out your sinuses. This will kill the bacteria helping relieve any congestion and tension in the head, nose and ears that if left untreated can become excruciatingly painful and badly infected. Repeat this process as much as possible, every hour or two hours if you can!
- Pure Radiance C by The Synergy Company. Vitamin C is a powerful healer and helps to boost your immune system helping to fight colds and flus. Research has shown high dosing vitamin C has incredible benefits. This supplement is totally natural made from wild crafted berries and foods high in the vitamin. 2 teaspoons a day in the morning with water will give you an incredible 5,200 mg. Food state vitamins
- Turmeric 3 by Nature’s Answer. Take 28 drops in a small amount of water 3 times a day. Turmeric is a potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial.
- Raw garlic 1-3 cloves a day crushed into your soup raw if you can stomach it otherwise garlic 1000 by quest kyolic. 2 x tablets 3 x a day.
- Water. It goes without saying. Water helps to flush the toxins out of our bodies and keeps our cells hydrated and healthy so that they can work efficiently. Aim to drink 3-4 Litres of water whilst you are sick, this can include your herbal teas.
- Sleep. Sleep & sleep as much as you can. Owe your body the rest it is crying out for, switch everything off and come to relax and regenerate. Different types of immune cells peak in concentration during your sleep to help you fight off infection better, that is why you feel tired during a cold or flu so that you can sleep to fight it off.
- Magnesium Citrate powder by Viridian. The flu can make our bodies feel stiff ½ a teaspoon in the morning and at night before bed help aid sleep and muscle relaxation.
- Steam with eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil. An old remedy that works like a charm. Steam and eucalyptus helps to release any congestion in the sinuses whilst the tea tree oil helps to kill any bacteria.
- Hot water bottle. This will help to soothe congestion especially at night when sleeping/breathing becomes painful and difficult. Place the hot water bottle on your chest or on your ears, face & head where your sinuses run. This will alleviate pressure and loosen mucus. I like to sleep on my side with my head and ear on the hot water bottle for extra comfort.
- Tiger balm. Rubbing tiger balm around your chest, neck and a little under your nose can help to clear stuffy noses and muscle stiffness.
- Comfortable warm clothing. This will help keep you warm from the chills, stop you from getting worse and also help you to sweat it out so wrap up and keep cosy!
Tips & Warnings
- Stay away from mucus forming foods that will make you worse such as dairy, wheat, sugar, gluten. If symptoms worsen see a doctor. Allow yourself plenty of time off, rest, sleep, proper nourishment and liquids.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.