Natural remedies for UTI/Cystitis relief
Cystitis is a urinary tract infection (UTI), or inflammation in the bladder, an irritating condition that usually affects women, though men and children can also be affected. Over half the women in the U.K. will suffer from cystitis at some stage in their lives, often recurring more often after you first get it. The most common cause of acute cystitis or urinary tract infection is when bacteria, enters the urethra and travels into the bladder. This can happen during sexual intercourse, when inserting tampons or by wiping/washing your bottom from back to front. Women who use the contraceptive diaphragm may also be at risk of cystitis. Here are some foods to eat, herbal solutions to drink, things to avoid, supplements/herbs or alternative medicines, and practical tips to help you manage the symptoms and prevent a urinary tract infection at home naturally:
What You'll Need
- Hot water bottle
- Plenty of water
- Nettle tea
- Tea tree oil suppositories
- Baking soda
What You'll Do
- Soothing: Firstly the most soothing thing you can do right away to heal a UTI is place a hot water bottle on your lower abdomen. This will help relax your bladder muscles from contracting enabling to pass urine a lot easier.
- Drink Nettle tea all throughout the day. As a diuretic, nettle tea helps to flush out bacteria and toxins in the urinary tract during infection. The anti-inflammatory properties of nettle may help to soothe inflamed tissues in the bladder.
- Take 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of Soda or Baking Soda in half a pint of water 2-3 times a day. This helps neutralise the acidity of the urine which causes the symptoms of UTI like a burning sensation. Do not take this if you have heart troubles or high blood pressure!
- Important: Out of all these steps this one is the most vital for proper healing of a UTI: Tea tree oil suppositories - these are the most effective natural antibacterials and remedies that you can use locally inserted into the vagina to be taken 1 a day as a 6 day course. Tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial and antiviral that will help to kill the bacteria that causes inflammation and pain.
- Drink 2-3L of water a day! This helps flush out any toxins and bacteria from a urinary tract infection.
- Take 2 tablets of Quest kyolic garlic 3 times a day. A Natural antibiotic and immune enhancer.
- Vitamin C plus bioflavanoids 4,000mg daily in divided doses, don't take at night as vitamin C can keep you awake. Produces antibacterial effect through acidification of urine. Important in Immune function.
- Helpful: 1 tablet first thing in the morning on an empty stomach of Renew Life's Women's Complete Ultimate flora Probiotic
- Now foods Calcium and Magnesium softgels. take 2 tablets daily. Aids in the stress response and works best when balanced with calcium.
- Now Foods Cranberry Mannose powder sachets. Take 1 sachet 3 times a day in a glass of water. Cranberry helps prevent bacteria from adhering to the lining of the bladder. Stay away from commercial cranberry juices as they are usually very low concentrations of actual cranberry and filled with high-fructose corn syrup or other sweeteners, making cystitis worse!
- Stay away from alcohol, caffeine, sugar, chemicals, refined and processed foods. Eat plenty of whole foods, vegetables, good quality organic, free range, wild protein. These dietary changes will help neutralise your bodies pH levels and reduce any inflammation in the body.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.