Make a nutrient-rich smoothie
Often when your body is battling flu or fighting a cold, you don't feel like eating. Making a smoothie can help you up your intake of important nutrients to support your immune response. Antioxidants like Vitamin C, (berries & spinach), probiotics, (yoghurt/kefir) zinc (pumpkin seeds) and selenium (brazil nuts) help to support immunity and a smoothie can be an easy way to get more of these into your diet - and may even lessen the duration and severity of symptoms. Flaxseeds provide a dose of plant-based omega-3, which also helps to support immune health and reduce inflammation, and bananas provide potassium, (levels of which may be depleted if you have been sick and vomiting).
What You'll Need
- Frozen mixed berries
- kefir or unsweetened greek yoghurt
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- One brazil nut
- Half a banana (frozen for creaminess)
- A handful of spinach
- One tablespoon of ground flax seeds
What You'll Do
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Blend these natural ingredients together to make a delicious and nutrituous smoothie to help you fight cold and flu.
Tips & Warnings
- *Don't overdo it on the brazil nuts...more is not always better! 1 -2 nuts provides your daily dose of selenium which can be toxic in high doses!
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.