Don't Skip a Beat!
Does your heart feel like it skips a beat sometimes? Do you feel like your heart races? The symptom of feeling your heart beating inside your chest is called palpitations and is very common. It doesn't always mean a serious problem, but sometimes can. Often times if people have palpitations, they notice it more when they're relaxing in a quiet space without many distractions such as when they're trying to go to sleep. If you have other health problems though, you should talk to your doctor about next steps. Here are some first steps you can take:
What You'll Need
- A list of your health problems and medications
- A list of any testing you've had on your heart
- A journal of your symptoms, including a description of the circumstances under which they occur
What You'll Do
- Avoid caffeine
- Stay hydrated
- Avoid caffeine and talk to your Doctor
Tips & Warnings
- While avoiding caffeine and staying hydrated are the usual first steps doctors may recommend in otherwise healthy people, you should always tell your doctor if you're having palpitations. He/she may want to do additional testing including blood work, an electrocardiogram (ECG), or other tests to get down to the bottom of what's going on. While the answer in the end may be that there's no need to treat them and/or that your heart is perfectly normal, it's best not to takes guesses at things that involve your heart! Ask your doctor for more information.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.