How to overcome your fear of the dentist
As a dentist, I often see patients who have developed a phobia of the densit or have a lot of anxiety. While dental anxiety is very common and there aren't too many people who love a trip to the dentist, it can in the long run have a negative impact on your oral health if you are unable to see a dentist regularly. Here are my top tips for overcoming dental anxiety:
What You'll Need
- Support from friends and family
- Help from your dentist
What You'll Do
- Bring a friend or family member for support. They can help put you at ease and releave some of the anxiety
- Meet with your dentist before hand and spend some time getting to know and trust them before you have your dental examination.
- Let your dental clinic and dentist know you have dental anxiety, so that they can provide you with better support.
- Talk to your dentist about options to help distract you during your assesment or treatment. Music, podcasts or Netflix can be a great distraction.